Soft, fluffy and chewy, mochi is a well-known Japanese rice cake dessert loved by people of all ages all around the world.
Not only is it deliciously light on the palate, its versatility is a huge plus – you can pair it with anything you like, and you can also prepare it in many different ways!
One of these ways is to grill it, and you’ll traditionally find this charred, slightly melted version in warm soups during New Year’s celebrations.
The smoky fragrance of grilled mochi goes well with a lot of other things too (including ice cream, seaweed and soy sauce) so come try your hand at it with this simple recipe.
- 1 to 2 pieces of mochi (fresh or packaged)
- Any toppings you like (yes, it’s that simple!)
- Soy sauce
- Kinako (dried roasted soybean powder)
- Dried seasoned seaweed (nori)
- Sweet red beans (anko)
- Ice cream
- Heat a pan or oven over medium-high heat.
- Put mochi onto the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Your mochi is ready when it turns slightly golden and puffs up.
- Add your choice of flavouring and serve.
And that’s it! The best part of this dish is that everything about it is super flexible. Crispy or soft, sweet or savoury – it’s all up to you and what you like best.
Get your mochi here and let’s get grilling today!